Saturday 16 June 2012

Super Trouping for Glaswegians.

 Super Trooper, the ABBA song. It's one I, like everyone else, have heard many times. I vaguely knew the lyrics, but I was totally oblivious that Glasgow appears in them!




"Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me
But I won't feel blue
Like I always do
'Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you

I was sick and tired of everything
When I called you last night from Glasgow
All I do is eat and sleep and sing..."

 I've re-read the lyrics to try and find some meaning, but can't. I think our proud city was just used randomly, because it had enough syllables to fit into the tune. Which on the one hand is good as it papers over Glasgow's problems circa 1980, but on the other hand it's not easy to make out - I've heard that song a fair few times, and I had no idea. BBC4 are repeating every top of the pops from the 70s onwards, Super Trooper was on for weeks recently, and I still didn't hear it! It could be subliminal advertising, but Glasgow City Council have never been that devious or influential.

No comments:

Post a Comment